Friday, November 12, 2010

Going to the dogs...part 2 (The foster dogs cometh)

Sorry for the delay on this... computer problems.

So... when we left off there was a family of 3- Sara, Chris and super beagle, Henry. Life with a puppy, like many things, got easier with practice. Henry adapted to our schedule and all was right with the world. We have friends with multiple dogs and would occasionally talk about getting a second dog. But by this time, Chris was starting law school at night and life was busy.

We stayed involved and interested in The Mutt Hutt and Secondhand Mutts from the beginning. Henry went to daycare occasionally and though there were NO plans to get a second dog, I would check the website regularly looking at all the dogs that needed homes. In July, we went to the Secondhand Mutts reunion and got to see all the adorable mutts looking for a new home. Somehow, using all our will, we were able to keep ourselves from taking one of those little angels home (that time).

Fast forward to Halloween and the Mutt Hutt's Muttsquerade. We all dressed up and, yes, I did put my dog in costume (I am THAT pet owner and I LIKE it)...

HENRY BATMAN! He would not tolerate the bat ears and the cape ended up dragging on the floor almost immediately after we got to the event but it was still pretty awesome! That night we met played with the dogs, socialized, drank a bit and met an adorable little mutt named, Mustard. Well, long story short, i have no self-control and he came home with me the next day. 2 dogs was not nearly as much of an adjustment as I had expected. I didn't have as much time to train as I had before but Mustard was so little that it didn't seem as neccesary as it had been with my hyper beagle. A week into fostering, I left Mustard & Henry with my parents overnight while I went out for Halloween. Mustard must have gotten really comfortable because he never left. A week later my mom adopted him, renaming him Paco (because if you are going to have a Mexican dog, you gotta give him a stereotypical Mexican name, right? hmmm...). My mom treats Paco like he is the little brother I never had. It really is strange for those of us who know that she never liked dogs, wanted a dog or cared for a dog in the past. But- things change!
Mustard/Paco was the first foster dog. Since then there has been Abraham Beagle Man, Handsome, Miss Hambone, Jenni Craig and currently- Rocket.


People always ask me how I can foster dogs and not want to keep them. Strangely, I have not had the urge (yet). Chris is rather attached to Rocket but I am trying to be the voice of reason...
1. 2 dogs are much harder to pass off on my parents when we go away for the weekend (which we do frequently). 2. A second dog will put a real damper on our fostering... and I really like being able to be transitional housing. I meet lots of dogs and touch lots of four legged lives.... and that makes me happy. :)
If you would like to know how you can make a difference in a dog's life, visit www.secondhandmutts.org or your local APL!

No comments: