Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Getting my just desserts

I MADE COOKIES! FROM SCRATCH!
I realize that to many of you that is not a statement that requires all caps or exclamation points. For me it is. I am not a cook...or a baker. I love food. Eating is probably one of my favorite things. But I am not a cook.

In my family, growing up, we did a lot of eating out. I became a conniseour of the mid-level chain restaurants. Applebees, Baker Square, TGI Fridays- I love them all. My mom cooked occasionally- sometimes actual cooking and sometimes something more like 'throw a Stouffers meal in the oven' cooking. I am told it runs in the family. My mom's sister is the same way. And it has moved down the line to me (...and my sister...and my cousins). Gosh, I love eating out. I do cook occasionally but eating out is just SO MUCH EASIER (thank god I have a metabollism that is on my side in this love affair).

So, for me to make cookies FROM SCRATCH is a big deal. ...I don't know if I have ever baked anything from scratch. My favorite 'homemade' dessert is bundt cake made from boxed devil's food cake and pre-packaged cream cheese frosting (seriously- this is what I ask my mom for on my birthday to this day).

But for some reason, I got out my grandma's recipe and decided I was going to make cookies. Oatmeal cookies to be more specific. The recipe was for oatmeal raisin cookies but I can only be so healthy (not that something involving a cup of butter is ever healthy) so instead of raisins I used chocolate and butterscotch chips. YUM!

So, last night I got out my recipe and my ingredients and I was ready to go.

Or, I would have been ready if I had any cinnamon. PREP FAIL. But I would not be deterred. Enter SUPER CHRIS to save the day! He stopped by Giant Eagle on his way home and procured the very neccesary cinnamon ---but not without quoting Strongbad (Strongbad:'I didn't know you had to shave.' Homestar Runner: 'I don't, it's cinnamon.') I digress... Moral of the story- Cinnamon purchased. On with the show.
Overall - it was really easy! I almost put in half as much butter as neccesary but double checked my measurements when the recipe said "blend until creamy" and the mess in my bowl looked like a granola bar before it gets formed. Crisis averted! I have to say- the raw cookie dough with the oatmeal didn't look especially appetizing.


But they baked up beautifully! I didn't even burn them.

Did I mention they taste amazing?? They totally do. If you are nice to me, I might give you some. I'm pretty proud and who knows, maybe I'll do it again soon!

No comments: